Idea Gallery: Double-Hung Windows
What Are Double-Hung Windows?
Double-hung windows are windows designed with two separate grooves for each sash, so each sash can slide independently of the other. This allows for a variety of different options for ventilation, often in combination with screens to allow for even more options for screened or unscreened opening of your window.
Commonly, a double-hung window will have its lower sash closer to the inside than the upper sash. Sashes can be divided in a number of ways, depending on construction and aesthetic goals.
Find out more about new or replacement double-hung window installation in Portland. Dial 866-498-4239 or reach out to us online to get started.
Double-Hung Windows vs. Single-Hung Windows
At a glance, it can be hard to tell single-hung windows from double-hung windows, as both styles have two sashes. The difference comes in mobility; with a double-hung window, you can move both sashes of the window up and down, but only the bottom sash is operable with a single-hung window.
Beyond this base difference, we see several derived differences:
- Price: Single-hung windows, all other things equal, will be less expensive than double-hung windows.
- Ventilation: The ability to open a double-hung window in two places allows for much better ventilation and encourages air circulation.
- Energy savings: As the largest determining factor for window energy efficiency is the glass, double-hung and single-hung windows are largely the same when closed. Double- and triple-paned windows offer improved energy efficiency, especially with gas insulation between panes of glass. Installation also plays an important role in maintaining window efficiency, as a poorly installed window will leak regardless of any other factors.
Get a quick and easy FREE quote for your window upgrade today!
Are Double-Hung Windows More Expensive Than Single-Hung?
As a general rule, if you’re looking at two otherwise identical windows in terms of build quality, materials, glass, and design, the second operable sash of a double-hung window means it will cost more than a single-hung window. Homeowners often find this difference in price is balanced out easy cleaning and improved ventilation, but whether these are worth the investment will depend on your specific preferences.
Why Choose Zen Windows Portland?
When the time comes to schedule replacement or installation of double-hung windows, you need a window company you can trust for quality work. By choosing to work with Zen Windows Portland, you’ll benefit from:
- Hassle-free quotes: The quote process for new windows has never been easier. For your initial call, you’ll only be on the phone for 10 minutes at most. Once we have your information, we’ll send you a quote within one business day.
- A better process: We’ve designed the entire Zen Windows process to be just as painless as our quote process, from beginning to end.
- Hands-on ownership: Zen Windows owners work directly with our clients, taking a hands-on approach to every aspect of the customer experience. You can always speak directly with the owners to get fast answers and solutions to any problems which may arise. Enjoy true accountability.
- No deposits: At Zen Windows Portland, we don’t ask for any deposit at all up front. You don’t have to worry about lackluster work or delays because you don’t pay until we get your windows installed to your satisfaction.
- Payment plans: Want to make sure you’re getting the windows of your dreams? Work with our financing options and payment plans, so you can get what you really want.
Choose Zen Windows for Your Double-Hung Windows in Portland
If you’re ready to schedule window replacement, leave it to the team at Zen Windows Portland. Our team looks forward to installing double-hung sash windows in your home.
For more information on our double-hung replacement windows in Portland, reach out to us at (866) 498-4239 or contact us online.